On Tue, Aug 02 2016, Sam Morrison wrote:

Hi Sam!

> We have been using gnocchi for a while now with the influxDB driver
> and are keen to get the influxdb driver back into upstream.
>
> However looking into the code and how it’s arranged it looks like
> there are a lot of assumptions that the backend storage driver is
> carbonara based.

More or less. There is a separation layer (index/storage) and a full
abstraction layer so it's possible to write a driver for any TSDB.
Proof, we had an InfluxDB driver.
Now the separation layer is not optimal for some TSDBs like InfluxDB,
unfortunately nobody never stepped up to enhance it.

> Is gnocchi an API for time series DBs or is it a time series DB
> itself?

Both. It's an API over TSDBs, and it also has its own TSDB based on
Carbonara+{Ceph,File,Swift}.

> The tests that are failing are due to the way carbonara and influx handle the
> retention and multiple granularities differently. (which we can work around
> outside of gnocchi for now)
>
> So I guess I’m wondering if there will be support for other drivers apart
> from carbonara?

Sure. We dropped the InfluxDB driver because nobody was maintaining it
and it was not passing the tests anymore. But we'd be glad to have it
in-tree I'd say.

> We use influx because we already use it for other stuff within our
> organisation
> and don’t want to set up ceph or swift (which is quite an endeavour) to
> support
> another time series DB.

That makes sense. If you don't need scaling, I can only encourage you
taking a look at using Carbonara+file rather than InfluxDB in the
future, which I think is still a better choice.

But in the meantime, feel free to send a patch to include back InfluxDB
in Gnocchi. As long as you're ready to help us maintain it, we'll all
open on that. :)

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou