On 08/04/2016 09:28 AM, Edward Leafe wrote:

The idea that by specifying a distinct microversion would somehow guarantee
an immutable behavior, though, is simply not the case. We discussed this at
length at the midcycle regarding the dropping of the nova-network code; once
that's dropped, there won't be any way to get that behavior no matter what
microversion you specify. It's gone. We signal this with deprecation notices,
release notes, etc., and it's up to individuals to move away from using that
behavior during this deprecation period. A new microversion will never help
anyone who doesn't follow these signals.

I was unable to attend the midcycle, but that seems to violate the original description of how microversions were supposed to work. As I recall, the original intent was something like this:

At time T, we remove an API via microversion X. We keep the code around to support it when using microversions less than X.

At some later time T+i, we bump the minimum microversion up to X. At this point nobody can ever request the older microversions, so we can safely remove the server-side code.

Have we given up on this?  Or is nova-network a special-case?

Chris