On 08/12/2016 07:49 AM, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypi...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 08/11/2016 05:46 PM, Clay Gerrard wrote:

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Ed Leafe <e...@leafe.com
<mailto:e...@leafe.com>> wrote:

    Overall this looks good, although it seems a bit odd to have
    ALL_CAPS_STRINGS to represent all:caps:strings throughout. The
    example you gave:

    >>> print os_caps.HW_CPU_X86_SSE42
    hw:cpu:x86:sse42

Just to be clear, this project doesn't *do* anything right?  Like it
won't parse `/proc/cpuinfo` and actually figure out a machines cpu flags
that can then be broadcast as "capabilities"?

Like, TBH I think it took me longer than I would prefer to honestly
admit to find out about /sys/block/<device>/queue/rotational [1]

So if there was a library about standardizing how hardware capabilities
are discovered and reported - that maybe seems like a sane sort of thing
for a collection of related projects to agree on.  But I'm not sure if
this does that?

Hi Clay!

It does not currently do that, but I'm interested in adding this capability
(pun intended).

ironic-python-agent does some of this discovery. It isn't
comprehensive, but it's a good starting point if we want to
lift some of that code out. The classes are here, and the
discovery things are in the same file if you grep around. :)

https://github.com/openstack/ironic-python-agent/blob/master/ironic_python_agent/hardware.py#L186-L251

Rock on. Duly noted :)

-jay