On 2016-11-29 11:27 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
I think we also need to look harder at the reasons for driver-only
developer teams seeking official status. If it's because they want
to be part of the community and help collaborate with the rest of
us, then as long as they can do that consistent with our overall
goals and ideals I think that's great and we should welcome them as
one of us. If the reason is because they feel it raises the profile
of their products within the OpenStack ecosystem or conveys an
implication of better OpenStack support on their platforms, then we
should work harder as a community to dispel that notion (even if it
means we need to actively sabotage the "tent" as a marketing
platform) and find other places for companies to advertise the level
of OpenStack support their customers should expect.

I think Jeremy raises a very important point here. What is the motivation on the part of the driver-only teams?

I personally assumed far too much collaborative intent when I got involved with supporting the path to third party testing for drivers. My eyes have since been opened. While there are a few driver maintainers that are motivated to be collaborative and help others (thank you so much) they are far from the norm.

I've taken some time away from keyboard to navel gaze a bit and been quite enjoying it. I've been able to think about some of the material offered to us during the leadership training in June, particularly thinking about groups that are successful in creating an environment of collaboration. I found that one of the most important aspects of groups that do create and maintain a collaborate atmosphere for all concerned is the ability to ensure that all concerned are motivated to create a collaborative environment. Businesses offered as case studies in the literature provided by Zingermans, create a reciprocally beneficial collaborative environment through rigorous filtering during interview and selection processes as well as a commitment to help people move along should it be evident that they are not motivated by collaborative intent. OpenStack can't apply the process but it can align with the spirit of the intent, should OpenStack continue to want to create a collaborative environment for all concerned.

Some may feel excluded and that is their choice, as long as there is always a door way in for those that make the choice of having their actions motivated by collaboration for the benefit of all concerned.

Thank you,
Anita.