On 12/22/2016 04:52 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com
> <mailto:d...@doughellmann.com>> wrote:
>
>     Excerpts from Ian Cordasco's message of 2016-12-22 06:46:29 -0600:
>     >
>     > There is some ambiguity right now with projects as to where to put
>     > easy-to-find documentation (even if it is just a brief paragraph with
>     > a link to longer-form documentation) into our repositories. Let's
>     > focus on that discussion here. We can come up with a productive
>     > conclusion and work with this contributor. While you've chosen (and
>     > yes, you've chosen this) to have a negative assumption about this
>     > contributor's efforts, I've chosen to believe they're looking to fill
>     > a gap. Increasing the productivity of new contributors to OpenStack is
>     > a positive improvement for our community. It may not fix a bug or add
>     > a feature, but it helps ramp up the people who will do that.
>
>     I thought we started adding these contributing files specifically
>     because of how they are rendered on github, as a way to try to prevent
>     folks from submitting pull requests there and then having them rejected
>     by the bot. It seemed more positive to give direction ahead of time than
>     through a rejection message.
>

> +1 to this and Ian and Alex's sentiments.
>
> It'd be great to get people to click one more time (to a more specific
> contributor guide), but let's face it, there has to be a lot of traffic
> directly to github.com <http://github.com>. Let's make sure there's a
> decent entry.
>
> Does anyone have a "perfect" CONTRIBUTING.rst (or does it need to be .md
> for github, Ian?) for all projects? Is it similar to the nova 2012
> version or is there a more modern take?

I'm against *only* adding a CONTRIBUTING.rst file. Any such change,
should remove the existing content so that we have no duplication. If we
document in two or three places how to contribute, one will be out of sync.

So, a well done patch would be welcome - but not just adding a file with
wrong information and no integration into existing content,

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)