Howdy,

So we're just about to hit the 400th project hosted by the infrastructure team (and there are at least a dozen in review). I think this is great feat although I'm concerned about how our resources are being used.

Despite stackforge projects meaning to be self-sufficient they do create extra work for us - at least in terms of reviews (such as adding or tweaking tests). I do think that once they are up and running they are generally low maintenance but they still add overhead in terms of overall complexity and so on.

I think it goes without saying that the stackforge programme is an important asset to OpenStack. However, with our current challenges and limitations of the gate and resources I wonder if we should set the bar higher for accepting stackforge projects.

I'm not sure how this might look. For example, do we need to closer consider the relevancy of a project; or perhaps if two projects might be able to be joined together. These metrics can be ambiguous and require good insight into the proposed project(s) to tell. Additionally we could require a certain level of maturity in the codebase before accepting a project over to stackforge. However, this would hinder projects being started in the open (which would be a big deal).

It might be helpful to look at what we currently have project-wise to determine how tangential or relevant projects are on average. We may also wish to consider ways to mark projects as inactive to begin removing them from our configuration files as a tidy up.

Another idea may also be to consider what tests are critical and what could be ran as 3rd party tests for non-incubated projects. Or perhaps working towards testing more tactical[0] on all projects.

I'm not actually sure where I sit on this matter myself but I think it's an interesting conversation to flag.

Cheers,
Josh

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/041057.html

--