On 14/02/17 16:06, Joshua Hesketh wrote:
Hey,

I've brought the service back up, but have no new clues as to why.

Cheers.

Going to try: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/433478/
to see if this script is culprit.

- Josh

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 6:50 PM, Tom Fifield <t...@openstack.org
<mailto:t...@openstack.org>> wrote:

    On 10/02/17 22:39, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

        On 2017-02-10 16:08:51 +0800 (+0800), Tom Fifield wrote:
        [...]

            Down again, this time with "Network is unreachable".

        [...]

        I'm not finding any obvious errors on the server nor relevant
        maintenance notices/trouble tickets from the service provider to
        explain this. I do see conspicuous gaps in network traffic volume
        and system load from ~06:45 to ~08:10 UTC according to cacti:

            http://cacti.openstack.org/?tree_id=1&leaf_id=156
        <http://cacti.openstack.org/?tree_id=1&leaf_id=156>

        Skipping back through previous days I find some similar gaps
        starting anywhere from 06:30 to 07:00 and ending between 07:00 and
        08:00 but they don't seem to occur every day and I'm not having much
        luck finding a pattern. It _is_ conspicuously close to when
        /etc/cron.daily scripts get fired from the crontab so might coincide
        with log rotation/service restarts? The graphs don't show these gaps
        correlating with any spikes in CPU, memory or disk activity so it
        doesn't seem to be resource starvation (at least not for any common
        resources we're tracking).

    Indeed. It's down again today during the same timeslot.

    Another idea for the cron-based theory:

https://github.com/openstack/uc-recognition/blob/master/tools/get_active_moderator.py

<https://github.com/openstack/uc-recognition/blob/master/tools/get_active_moderator.py>

    loops through the list of Ask OpenStack users via the API on a cron
    running on www.openstack.org <http://www.openstack.org>. Not sure
    when that cron runs, but if it's similar, this could potentially be
    a high-load generator.

    Regards,

    Tom