On 12/19/2017 01:53 AM, James E. Blair wrote:
Ian Wienand <iwien...@redhat.com> writes:

There's a bunch of stuff that wouldn't show up until live, but we
probably could have got a lot of prep work out of the way if the
integration tests were doing something.  I didn't realise that although
we run the tests, most of our modules don't actually have any tests
run ... even something very simple like "apply without failures"

Don't the apply tests do that?

Not really; since they do a --noop run they find things like syntax
issues, dependency loops, missing statements etc; but this does leave a
lot of room for other failures.

For example, our version of puppet-nodejs was warning on Xenial "this
platform not supported, I'll try to use sensible defaults", which
passed through the apply tests -- but wasn't actually working when it
came to really getting nodejs on the system alongside
etherpad/ethercalc.

I also think there was some false sense of security since (now called)
legacy-puppet-beaker-rspec-infra was working ... even though *it* was
a noop too.

-i