We using chef to manage hosts. Data bags contains all data of all hosts. We keep hardware configuration and DC-wide-name in databags too.

For the flowcharts we mostly use markers and whiteboard, sometime I sketch stuff in dia [1] or with wacom tablet in mypaint.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/dia-installer/