Thanks!

But those examples are for same MTU for client and server. If we have

Client: 1500
router in the middle 1500
OVS/GRE: 1458
server: 1458

For tcp this is ok. But can it hurt somehow other protocols? UDP, RST, etc?

On 03/14/2015 08:52 PM, Joseph Bajin wrote:
The size of MTU only really matters for the server and client. The between connections need to be larger than the packets that are being sent.

Scenario 1:
Server - 1400 MTU
Client - 1400  MTU
Switches - 9216 MTU
OVS - 1500 MTU

Result: Successful - Traffic passes without any issue

Scenario 2:
Server - 1520 MTU
Client - 1520  MTU
Switches - 1516 MTU
OVS - 1500 MTU

Result: Failure - Traffic will have issues passing through.

So just make sure everything in-between is higher than your server and client.

--Joe