On 04/23/2015 12:13 AM, Mike Smith wrote:
   No shared services between them.   Some of the separation is due to the kind of
instances they contain (“Dev/Test" vs “Prod” for example), but it is largely
due to the location diversity and the desire to not require everything to be
upgraded at once.
This is an interesting point; if a mix-and-match approach were takien, it would require a lot of internal maturing of the OpenStack interfaces. We would end up with case of a Kilo Glance being called by a Liberty Nova, for example. That might not be a bad thing, as it would require a degree of discovery and flexibility we don't currently emphasize.

The bigger issue, I suspect, is the message queue. Getting that to API stability would be a huge effort, I suspect.

I am less interested in what people are actually doing than in the things that you would want to be doing but cannot due to limitations in the authorization and sharing assumptions that make up OpenStack. The Cinder client that runs on the compute node is "owned" buy the cinder server, so to speak. This means that two Cinders with different access control levels cannot be shared by the same cloud.