On 11/04/2015 08:46 AM, Saverio Proto wrote:
Hello there,

I am using cinder with rbd, and most volumes are created from glance
images on rbd as well.
Because of ceph features, these volumes are CoW and only blocks
different from the original parent image are really written.

Today I am debugging why in my production system deleting cinder
volumes gets very slow. Looks like the problem happens only at scale,
I can't reproduce it on my small test cluster.

I read all the cinder.conf reference, and I found this default value
=>   volume_clear=0.

Is this parameter evaluated when cinder works with rbd ?

I don't think that's actually used with rbd, since as you say Ceph uses CoW internally.

I believe it's also ignored if you use LVM with thin provisioning.

Chris