It seems that this is where the "vendor vs upstream" argument really hits home.
I think Tom hit it on the head: there's a delicate balance between how much
resources "the community" can spend maintaining a release, vs when you should
rely on a vendor. We had a similar discussion back in the Diablo timeframe when
"the community" stopped releasing packages. It was just too much overhead for
the foundation to manage their own package pipeline when that was viewed as
something vendors should be handling.

I do agree, however, from an operator standpoint the window for dropping
support for older releases upstream seems quite short. This leads to big
deploys, who aren't/can't move as quickly as upstream, causing massive
fragmentation. So and so finds an issue and goes to their vendor, who fixes it
in their distro. So and so someone else finds an issue and goes to their other
vendor, who fixes it in their distro. Without a common resource to pool
stability/bugfixes we end up with a lot of what are effectively forks of older
(but still vendor supported) "stable" code.

Perhaps a good solution would be for the foundation to allow a process by which
vendors may maintain "canonical" (no pun intended) stable branches which are
community endorsed. Then everyone has a common stable resource to pull from,
but the onus for maintaining it lies on the ones who more directly benefit from
it: the vendors.