On 13/05/16 15:52 -0400, Nikhil Komawar wrote:

On 5/13/16 3:36 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
On 12/05/16 21:41 -0400, Nikhil Komawar wrote:
I have been of the same opinion as far as upgrades go.

I think we are stepping ahead of ourselves here a bit. We need to
figure out
the rolling upgrade story first and see if registry is actually
useful or not
there as well.

I kinda disagree, tbh. We can have a glance-api service that can be
upgraded
with no downtimes without the need of a registry service.

With a oslo.vo implementation to work with different models of Glance
tables (image/members/etc.) schema you _need_ a service that can talk to
both the type of the models without having to upgrade the DB. From my
initial perspective, the API nodes up-gradation process will not help
when we use oslo.vo.

Because the API will need to be capable of using the new schema where as
the DB still has a old one. What is the current thought process for
supporting a rolling upgrade for DB?

Why? I'm failing to see the need of a separate service to do this. The above
suggests there's a service that exposes a single API and that is also capable of
talking to both database schemas. Why can't that service be glance-api itself?

Whatever transformation happens in this separate service could as well happen in
the main service. What am I missing?

Flavio

The feedback from operator sessions also indicated that some ops do
use it that
way (
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-May/094034.html
).

Overall, I do think registry is a bit of overhead and it would be
nice to
actually deprecate it but we do need facts/technical research first.