@'s should work just fine:

(test_osc) $ openstack project create test@test
+-------------+----------------------------------+
| Field       | Value                            |
+-------------+----------------------------------+
| description | None                             |
| enabled     | True                             |
| id          | 730b3aaca18a4a37acd2cdf1d4b5f35f |
| name        | test@test                        |
+-------------+----------------------------------+
(test_osc) $ openstack project show test@test
+-------------+----------------------------------+
| Field       | Value                            |
+-------------+----------------------------------+
| description | None                             |
| enabled     | True                             |
| id          | 730b3aaca18a4a37acd2cdf1d4b5f35f |
| name        | test@test                        |
| properties  |                                  |
+-------------+----------------------------------+

With UTF8 your mileage will vary
(test_osc) $ openstack project create 💩
An unexpected error prevented the server from fulfilling your request.
(HTTP 500) (Request-ID: req-ca2a0c60-8c20-40dd-8ca6-49a9ecbf9447)

(test_osc) $ openstack project create "elniño"
+-------------+----------------------------------+
| Field       | Value                            |
| description | None                             |
| enabled     | True                             |
| id          | b87bdafc6d32449bb1147f1acdcd3f49 |
| name        | elniño                           |
(test_osc) $ openstack project show "elniño"
| Field       | Value                            |