On 9/25/2018 8:36 AM, John Garbutt wrote:
    Another thing is about existing flavors configured for these
    capabilities-scoped specs. Are you saying during the deprecation we'd
    continue to use those even if the filter is disabled? In the review I
    had suggested that we add a pre-upgrade check which inspects the
    flavors
    and if any of these are found, we report a warning meaning those
    flavors
    need to be updated to use traits rather than capabilities. Would
    that be
    reasonable?

I like the idea of a warning, but there are features that have not yet moved to traits:
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/juno-implemented/uefi-boot-for-ironic.html

There is a more general plan that will help, but its not quite ready yet:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/504952/

As such, I think we can't get pull the plug on flavors including capabilities and passing them to Ironic, but (after a cycle of deprecation) I think we can now stop pushing capabilities from Ironic into Nova and using them for placement.

Forgive my ignorance, but if traits are not on par with capabilities, why are we deprecating the capabilities filter?

--

Thanks,

Matt