Thanks for everyone's feedback to the idea of supporting GSOC 2011.  I have
received emails from several people interested in becoming a mentor. As a next
step, please list yourself on the GSOC 2011 Wiki page at
http://wiki.openstack.org/Project List along with your project
ideas/descriptions. From here, we as a community can review all the ideas
submitted and determine if we have quality projects that make sense for the
community. If so, I will go ahead and submit the application. If not, we can
postpone until next year.

However, there is interest in having OpenStack participate as I already have
students who have contacted me wanting to review our proposals and participate.
Let's see what ideas we come up with and then make a final decision on go/no-go
based on the projects listed.

Thanks.

Rick Clark wrote:
> In order to be successful, quite a bit of thought and planning needs to
> be put into a GSOC project.  I've seen other open source projects look
> bad by not being organized enough.  This needs to be way more put
> together, and thought out before I would want to see openstack's name on
> it.

In my experience, GSoC can easily backfire on unprepared organizations.
And I think we are a bit young, as an organization, to successfully
participate.

The deadlines are just around the corner, not sure rushing our first
participation is a good idea. I'd rather discuss of a full plan in one
of the 2011 design summits, to have a well-organized effort for GSoC 2012.