This is an excellent point, Mark, I'd forgotten about the quota system
for user-defined (and nova-ignored) "metadata" items. That does throw
a bit of a wrench into the mix. Perhaps a small edit to the
instance_metadata table to add a column for is_user_added that can be
used to segregate metadata items that Nova itself uses to track
certain things?

-jay