A lot of the arguments against both XML and JSON seem to boil down to "here's
why XML sucks..."

The reality is, for whatever reason, good or bad, a lot of people prefer to
parse complex data in XML. There's a big market for it. Supporting both formats
doesn't add horrible complexity.

-George

On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:41 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> The problem I mentioned before, though, is that XML Schema brings more issues
> to the table than it solves.
>
> 1) People inevitably use schema to generate bindings to [insert language],
> and because of the complexity of the underlying data model of XML (Infoset),
> the mapping of information items to objects can happen in a variety of
> different ways. This is an endless source of bugs.
>
> 2) It's very, very hard to define an XML Schema that's reasonably extensible;
> unless you use exactly the right design patterns in your schema (which are
> absurdly convoluted, btw), you'll end up locking out future
> backwards-compatible changes. The authority in this space is Dave Orchard;
> see his conclusions at
> <http://www.pacificspirit.com/Authoring/Compatibility/ProvidingCompatibleSchemaEvolution.html>.
>
> 3) An XML Schema can never express all of the constraints on the format. So,
> you'll still need to document those that aren't captured in the schema.
>
> I suppose the central question is what people are using the schema for. If
> it's just to document the format, that's great; we can have a discussion
> about how to do that. If they're using it for databinding, I'd suggest that
> JSON is far superior, as a separate databinding step isn't needed. Finally,
> if they're using it for runtime validation, I'd agree with Jay below; it's
> much easier to use json parse + runtime value checks for validation
> (especially in HTTP, where clients always have to be ready for errors anyway).
>
> Just my .02.
>
> Cheers,
>

> On 03/06/2011, at 5:20 AM, Jorge Williams wrote:
>
>> It's not just about the service itself  validating it, its as Joseph said,
>> making sure that the data structures themselves are documented in detail to
>> the client.  To my knowledge there is no accepted schema language in JSON
>> though JSON schema is starting to catch on.
>>
>> At the end of the day it should be a matter of providing our customers with
>> a representation that they can readily use.  It could be that my perception
>> is wrong, but it seems to me that there's support for both representations.
>>  I'll try to get some data to back this up.
>>
>> -jOrGe W.

>>> Glance currently does not support XML and I have no plans in the
>>> immediate future to add support for it.
>>>
>>> IMHO, JSON can be validated just as easily as XML. Simply
>>> json.loads(req.body) and then, if parsing succeeds, compare the
>>> mapping against a model. No need for XSDs, WADLs, or any other
>>> acronym.
>>>
>>> -jay

> --

George Reese - Chief Technology Officer, enStratus
e: george.re...@enstratus.com    t: @GeorgeReese    p: +1.207.956.0217    f:
+1.612.338.5041
enStratus: Governance for Public, Private, and Hybrid Clouds - @enStratus -
http://www.enstratus.com