On Jul 7, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Trey Morris wrote:

> If I had to choose between dropping or truncating UUIDs and failing feature
> parity with the ec2 api, i'd go with the latter. Pros and cons for UUIDs have
> already been discussed and decisions made. The EC2 api shouldn't get in the
> way. A translation layer to sit in between the EC2 and OS APIs would solve
> this issue without revisiting the UUID argument.

        The code to use the first 8 chars of the UUID in the ec2 id was created
and working well, but discarded in favor of a more limited approach. The only
issue was the increased likelihood of a duplicate ec2 id, as we'd be limited to
only 4 billion of them or so. I thought that it would be fairly straightforward
to add code to detect such dupes, and re-generate a new UUID for the instance
in that event. Then we would have no limits on ec2 compatibility, and we
wouldn't need this discussion.

-- Ed Leafe

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error,
please delete it.