On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Leo van den Bulck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Talking about cloud-init and Ubuntu instances... I have a problem related to
> that part which I can't really reproduce reliably.
>
> When spinning up an Ubuntu "tty" image, I'm often seeing this, during the
> cloud-init/cloud-setup phase:
>
> cloud-setup: cloudinit: getting ssh keys: [0=test]
> stty: /dev/console
> System is configured for NO sshd.

Well, if you can help figure out what is going wrong, then I'll fix that
in the images.  Just looking through code, I can't see what would be doing
it other than you passing a kernel command line option to your instances
of 'nosshd' .  But surely you'd know that.

> and then I'm unable to ssh to my instance: I'm getting "connection refused",
> because there's no sshd runnng on port 22.
>
> The weird thing is, when I repeat the same Openstack/nova installation
> procedure a few days later, I would typically not get this issue.
> Then after another installation attempt yet a few days later the issue would
> crop up again.
>
> Does any recognize this error or know what it means? Maybe cloud-init/setup
> fails to fetch the keys and as a result won't start up sshd ?

There is a bug that I should fix where the image tries to figure out if
this is a slow system, and if so, it will not generate ssh keys.  clearly
you *always* want ssh keys generated if its your only access to the system
even if it takes a long time.

> The only thing that MIGHT be a factor is that at one point I pulled sources
> from Launchpad/Bazaar and next time I used the Git mirror.
> I could try that again and see if that's the culprit. So then it would be
> down to the particular version of the source code or the build of the tty
> image, etc.

I can't imagine that this would be an issue.
Could you give a url to exactly what you're using as the ttylinux image?

I've recently been working on this some, and I plan to start making those
things with more sane version numbers than are present now.
the recent snapshots i have at
http://smoser.brickies.net/ubuntu/ttylinux-uec/dev/ support running under
nova-lxc also.