You couldn't be more correct.

The words I would use to describe this scenario are: "unacceptable" and
"inexcusable".

On Aug 26, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Devin Carlen wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've been following the code vs architect debate that's been unfolding over
> the past week or so.  Here are some of the problems I've seen from my point
> of view.  Fundamentally, the process we have now for defining API specs is
> broken.  I don't believe that this can be argued.  The first major misstep in
> my opinion was forcing backwards compatibility with the Rackspace API in the
> OpenStack API.
>
> I believe we should have had a Rackspace API module just like we have an EC2
> API module.  Then the OpenStack API wouldn't have been burdened by the
> historical decisions around the Rackspace API.
>
> But that is ancient history at this point.
>
> But we have to look at this pragmatically, and realize that 1 year later, the
> OpenStack API (as spec'd) is still not even close to exposing the underlying
> core functionality that exists within Nova.  For the most part, the OpenStack
> API is a subset of functionality of the EC2 API.   This is a big reason why
> the Dashboard project used the EC2 API for its underlying communication for
> so long.
>
> There have been a lot of efforts lately to bring the feature set of the
> OpenStack API in line with the EC2 API, and this is admirable.  But this has
> NOT been happening at the architect level.  This has been happening at the
> developer level, and it is being done with API "extensions" which make it
> sound like the feature is somehow not complete or not supported fully,
> because it's not part of the core API.
>
> So the question to all in favor of architecting up front:
>
> How do you explain lacking feature parity with the underlying components for
> over a year now?
>

> In my opinion, this has been a big problem in gaining traction around the
> OpenStack API.
>

> Devin

George Reese - Chief Technology Officer, enStratus
e: george.re...@enstratus.com    t: @GeorgeReese    p: +1.207.956.0217    f:
+1.612.338.5041
enStratus: Governance for Public, Private, and Hybrid Clouds - @enStratus -
http://www.enstratus.com