Chris Behrens wrote:
> But leaving aside whether I like it or dislike it, what really bothers me is
> that there was discussion about moving things to github.  And, I was 'ok'
> with that decision to do so despite preferring bzr and LP.  My 'ok' was based
> on knowing how git, github pull requests, reviews, and so forth work.  Now I
> feel like we're moving things to something to which I (and the community)
> never agreed.   I never saw any discussion about Gerrit on the mailing list
> as far as "is everyone cool with this?"  The first mention of it that I can
> find was July 18th regarding moving the CI repos.  Doesn't seem like we were
> given much of an option.  That really irks me.  Above you say "that has been
> decided will be used for the core OpenStack projects".  So, I have to ask:
> 'Who decided?'.  I must have missed something.

The PPB voted on that, mostly based on the feedback from the projects
that already migrated to it. Apparently the benefits of Gerrit (and the
3-month-long process that led the team working on that to prefer that
solution) were not communicated enough outside of the circles that
followed the issue closely.

> And I want to be clear that I'm not meaning to put down anyone's efforts
> here.  I'm positive a lot of hard work was put into the transition, and I do
> appreciate it.

Yes, rather than focusing on the communication issues or the bad timing
of the complaint, I hope we can concentrate on (1) getting a picture of
all the benefits of using Gerrit for code review (and running our own
code for that), and (2) having a list of the issues with Gerrit that
Monty and Jim can try to mitigate.

So far, the main complaint I hear is that it's different: different from
a pure GitHub workflow, and different from what Nova devs are used to
currently (LP). Familiarity is a very valid concern -- but my
understanding is that it's outweighed by (1). So if we can explain (1)
and mitigate (2), we may go somewhere.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack