I have installed OpenStack Diablo (version 2011.3.1 released January 20, 2012) on Linux Ubuntu Oneiric (11.10), including a working version of the essex-dev dashboard (Horizon).

By installing the development version of the dashboard, you can manage almost everything, including:

- In the project panel: instances, volumes, floating IPs, security groups, images, and instance snapshots. - In the admin panel: instances, services, flavors, images, tenants (projects), users, and quotas.

In both panels, you also have status and usage information.

Versions and installation methods:

* Version 2011.3.1 (stable/diablo) for:

- Nova (ppa/deb packages)
- Glance (ppa/deb packages)
- Keystone (ppa/deb packages)

* Version 2012.1-dev (dev/essex) for:

- Dashboard (git/source package)

You can find the detailed procedure to install Nova/Glance/Keystone/Horizon on Ubuntu Oneiric here:

Install Your Own OpenStack Cloud -- Diablo Version 2011.3.1 with Keystone and Horizon
http://dodeeric.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/install-your-own-openstack-cloud-diablo-edition-2011-3-1-with-keystone-and-horizon

Bellow the part concerning the installation of the dashboard:

Install the dashboard:

Get the dashboard source from Github, version essex-2-46-g580ecc2 (dev/essex):

# cd /usr/local/
# wget https://github.com/openstack/horizon/tarball/580ecc20bc04fdb74e1a8416feddcc84de745cd6
# mv 580ecc20bc04fdb74e1a8416feddcc84de745cd6 horizon-e2-46-g580ecc2.tar.gz
# tar -xzvf horizon-e2-46-g580ecc2.tar.gz
# mv openstack-horizon-580ecc2 horizon-e2-46-g580ecc2

Install some required packages:

# aptitude install python-django python-setuptools python-dev

Adapt the configuration file:

# cd /usr/local/horizon-e2-46-g580ecc2/openstack-dashboard/local/
# cp local_settings.py.example local_settings.py
# vi local_settings.py

And adapt two parameters as follow:

OPENSTACK_HOST = "node1"
QUANTUM_ENABLED = False

Install a Python virtual environment:

# cd /usr/local/horizon-e2-46-g580ecc2/openstack-dashboard/tools/
# easy_install virtualenv

Install the dashboard in the virtual environment (that will take some time):

# python install_venv.py

The install should finish with the following messages (if not, start the install again):

Installing horizon module in development mode...
OpenStack Dashboard development environment setup is complete.
To activate the virtualenv for the extent of your current shell session you can run:
$ source .dashboard-venv/bin/activate

Activate the virtual environment:

# cd /usr/local/horizon-e2-46-g580ecc2/openstack-dashboard/.dashboard-venv/bin/
# source activate

Create the SQLite DB with its tables:

# cd /usr/local/horizon-e2-46-g580ecc2/openstack-dashboard/dashboard/
# ./manage.py syncdb

You will see the following messages:

Creating tables ...
Creating table django_session
Installing custom SQL ...
Installing indexes ...
No fixtures found.

Install Openstackx diablo (extention for nova-api diablo):

# cd /usr/local/
# wget https://github.com/cloudbuilders/openstackx/tarball/rcb_v1.1
# mv rcb_v1.1 openstackx-diablo.tar.gz
# tar -xzvf openstackx-diablo.tar.gz
# mv cloudbuilders-openstackx-53fd616 openstackx-diablo

Adapt the nova.conf file as follow:

# vi /etc/nova/nova.conf

And add the following parameter:

--osapi_extensions_path=/usr/local/openstackx-diablo/extensions

Launch the Dashboard on port tcp/8000:

# cd /usr/local/horizon-e2-46-g580ecc2/openstack-dashboard/dashboard/
# ./manage.py runserver 0.0.0.0:8000

You will see the following messages:

Django version 1.3.1, using settings 'dashboard.settings'
Development server is running at http://0.0.0.0:8000/
Quit the server with CONTROL-C.
You can now access the Dashboard with a web browser at the address: http://localhost:8000 or http://node1:8000 or http://192.168.1.201:8000

To be able to connect on the console of the instances via VNC, you need to install the nova-vncproxy package and the noVNC software (it is a slightly modified version of noVNC which can work with the nova-vnc-proxy).

Install nova-vncproxy:

# aptitude install nova-vncproxy

nova-vncproxy will not start automatically: it gives the following error:
INFO nova.wsgi [-] Starting TCP server /usr/bin/nova-vncproxy on 0.0.0.0:843
CRITICAL nova [-] [Errno 13] Permission denied
Start it manually in a screen with root:

# nova-vncproxy

Install noVNC:

# cd /var/lib/nova/
# git clone https://github.com/openstack/noVNC.git