Hi,

today, I was trying to setup Swift with Keystone authentication and S3
compatibility.

Thanks to the very good documentation at http://swift.openstack.org/ and
http://keystone.openstack.org/configuringservices.html I got a working setup
quite fast, however S3 compatibility didn't work. The client couldn't
authenticate, got a HTTP 500 error, which was caused by Keystone responding
with a HTTP 404 to an internal request to /v2.0/s3tokens.

After several hours, I found out, that no one ever mentions the small detail,
that you have to include this in keystone.conf:

[filter:s3_extension]
paste.filter_factory = keystone.contrib.s3:S3Extension.factory

and add "s3_extension" in the "[pipeline:admin_api]" section between
"ec2_extension" and "crud_extension".

As a user, that's nearly impossible to find out - try it using the
documentation and Google. The only "official" place, where you can find it
mentioned, is in the middle of the 81.5kb stack.sh inside devstack and you'll
only find that, if you already know exactly what you're looking for :/

I'm currently trying to get a CCLA signed by my company, if that succeeds, I'd
like to contribute a fix to the docs. In the meantime, maybe that already helps
someone. :)

Best regards,

--
Philipp Wollermann