On 5/18/12 12:16 AM, Yong Sheng Gong wrote:

Hi,
I just want to ask about the relationship among openstackclient https://launchpad.net/python-openstackclientand other clients. Will openstackclient replace other clients ( such as quantum client, keystone client, nova client, xx) or just a supplement?
My understanding (and hope) is that ultimately there will be a separation between shell interfaces and REST interfaces. Openstackclient will implement the commandline, and the other clients (python-novaclient, python-glanceclient, etc.) will provide python APIs for REST clients, of which openstackclient is one.

by now, the openstackclient is calling codes from other clients, so it seems it is just another client wrapper. In this case, we will have to implement two set of front codes to call specific client. One will be in openstackclient, and one will be in separate client itself.
I expect non-common shell clients to be deprecated and eventually ripped out. We're probably a bit too early in the game to explicitly discourage development on those shell commands though.

-Andrew