From: Narayan Desai <narayan.de...@gmail.com>
To: Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvana...@gmail.com>
Cc: Vijay <vija...@yahoo.com>; "openstack@lists.launchpad.net"
<openstack@lists.launchpad.net>
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 6:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Openstack] dhcp is not leasing an ip address in vlan mode

Along these lines, it seemed simplest if we just ran nova-api-metadata on each
nova-network server. That way we could get rid of the awful ospf setup for
metadata and just let the network aggregation do its job.
 -nld
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvana...@gmail.com>
wrote:
yes it can.  The best way is to run nova-api-metadata on every host so the
request can go locally.  Alternatively you can set the metadata_host config
option on your compute hosts to the ip of a nova-api server somewhere else.

>you might have to be careful which interface the ip metadata_host is on. It
>defaults to my_ip, but i have seen it do odd things if the metadata_host is on
>a different ethernet device than the vms, so you might have to manually set it
>to a different ip.
>

>Vish
>On Jun 1, 2012, at 9:11 AM, Vijay wrote:
>I did have a problem in vlan trunking on the switch. I fixed it. Now, I am
>able to ping and ssh the instance that is launched on the compute node from
>the controller. However, when I look into euca-get-console-output of that
>instance on compute node, I still see that it is not able to connect
>to 169.254.169.254 (metadata service). But, I see a private ip address getting
>leased correctly. Because of this I am able to ping and ssh successfully from
>CONTROLLER ONLY (not from compute node).
>>I am not sure if this is the correct behavior. But, in case of flatDHCP this
>>metadata connection should be successful. Otherwise, instances cannot be
>>pinged/sshed in flatDHCP mode.
>>
>>Can VLAN be run in multi-host mode like it is done in flatDHCP mode as
>>suggested by Sergio Ariel below? (with multi_host set to true and running
>>nova-network running)
>>

>>euca-get-console-output log
>>
>>Sending discover...
>>Sending select for 192.168.4.5...
>>Lease of 192.168.4.5 obtained, lease time 120
>>starting DHCP forEthernet interface eth0  [  OK  ]
>>cloud-setup: checking http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id
>>wget: can't connect to remote host (169.254.169.254): Connection timed out
>>cloud-setup: failed 1/30: up 9.84. request failed
>>

>>Thanks,-vj

 (which also runs nova-compute)> and ping/ssh those instances.> I am able to
launch instances on compute only node. However, I cannot ping> the VM launched
on compute only node.> When i did the euca-get-console-output on that instance,
I see that it is> not getting an IP leased from DHCP .. Because of that it is
not able to> reach metadata server.> Any help is appreciated.>> Console output
is> udhcpc (v1.17.2) started> Sending discover...> Sending discover...> Sending
discover...> No lease, forking to background> starting DHCP forEthernet
interface eth0  [  OK  ]> cloud-setup: checking>
http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id> wget: can't connect to
remote host (169.254.169.254): Network is unreachable> cloud-setup: failed
1/30: up 17.71. request failed> nova.conf:>
--dhcpbridge_flagfile=/etc/nova/nova.conf>
--dhcpbridge=/usr/local/bin/nova-dhcpbridge> --logdir=/var/log/nova>
--state_path=/var/lib/nova> --lock_path=/var/lock/nova>
 --force_dhcp_release=True> --use_deprecated_auth> --iscsi_helper=tgtadm>
--verbose> --vncserver_listen=0.0.0.0>
--sql_connection=mysql://novadbadmin:novasecret@192.168.198.85/nova>
--daemonize> --s3_host=192.168.198.85> --rabbit_host=192.168.198.85>
--cc_host=192.168.198.85> --ospi_host=192.168.198.85>
--ec2_host=192.168.198.85> --ec2_url=http://192.168.198.85:8773/services/Cloud>
--nova_url=http://192.168.198.85:8774/v1.1/>> # VLAN mode>
--flat_interface=eth1> --flat_injected=False> --flat_network_bridge=br100>
--flat_network_dhcp_start=192.168.4.2>>
--network_manager=nova.network.manager.VlanManager> --vlan_interface=eth1>
--public_interface=vlan100> --allow_same_net_traffic=True>
--fixed_range=192.168.4.0/24> --network_size=256> --FAKE_subdomain=ec2>
--routing_source_ip=192.168.198.85> --glance_api_servers=192.168.198.85:9292>
--image_service=nova.image.glance.GlanceImageService>
--iscsi_ip_prefix=192.168.> --connection_type=libvirt>
 --libvirt_type=qemu>> # Keystone> --auth_strategy=keystone>
--api_paste_config=/etc/nova/api-paste.ini>
--keystone_ec2_url=http://192.168.198.85:5000/v2.0/ec2tokens>>>>> Thanks,>
https://launchpad.net/~openstack> Post to     : openstack@lists.launchpad.net>
https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp>_______________________________________________
>>>Post to     : openstack@lists.launchpad.net
>>>More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>>>This message including any attachments may contain confidential information,
>>>according to our Information Security Management System, and intended solely
>>>for a specific individual to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised copy,
>>>disclosure or distribution of this message is strictly forbidden. If you
>>>have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
>>>immediately and delete it. Este mensaje, y en su caso, cualquier fichero
>>>anexo al mismo, puede contener información clasificada por su emisor como
>>>confidencial en el marco de su Sistema de Gestión de Seguridad de la
>>>Información siendo para uso exclusivo del destinatario, quedando prohibida
>>>su divulgación copia o distribución a terceros sin la autorización expresa
>>>del remitente. Si Vd. ha recibido este mensaje erróneamente, se ruega lo
>>>notifique al remitente y proceda a su borrado. Gracias por su colaboración.
>>>Esta mensagem, incluindo qualquer ficheiro anexo, pode conter
 informação confidencial, de acordo com nosso Sistema de Gestão de Segurança da
Informação, sendo para uso exclusivo do destinatário e estando proibida a sua
divulgação, cópia ou distribuição a terceiros sem autorização expressa do
remetente da mesma. Se recebeu esta mensagem por engano, por favor avise de
imediato o remetente e apague-a. Obrigado pela sua colaboração.