On 07/31/2012 02:13 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

As a counter-point, I'd prefer to keep the list as it is and *not* munge
Reply-To.

Since Chip summarizes it better than I can, I'll link to his article
'"Reply-To" Munging Considered Harmful':

++

Just use a decent email program (i.e. not Outlook) that gives you things
like Reply to List.

"Just switch email programs" isn't really an option for many, especially if they are working with their corporate email infrastructure.

My personal experience is Reply-to munging is important to keep the communication on list. Defaults matter. And changing 1 header on 1 server, instead of making 3816 people (the active count on openstack group in launchpad) change their email client, seems the polite thing to do. :)

That being said, I realize we're entering mostly a land of religion here. So I'll just end with a "long live emacs!" to try to get us to the godwin rule as fast as possible.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center