On Friday, August 10, 2012 at 22:53 PM, George Reese wrote:

> First, thanks to Andrew for starting this thread. I think it's an important
> discussion.
>
> Second, the problem with the analogies made so far is, IMHO, at the API level
> and what it does to the ecosystem.
>
> Let's take, for example, Apache HTTP Client stuff. 3.1 and 4.x are wildly
> different object models. But that's OK for the Apache model in a way that
> isn't for OpenStack.
Aren't you making the wrong comparison here?  This might apply to the OS API
client libraries, or euca2ools (which is NOT an OpenStack project), but this
comparison does not apply to the OpenStack services or EC2 endpoint
compatibility.  Instead, the comparison of EC2 endpoint compatibility should be
made to Apache's HTTP endpoint, their httpd.

A better question is: Has the Apache httpd broken HTTP compatibility in any
significant way? Besides, perhaps, from allowing you to configure it in a
broken manner?

In fact, this might be a good comparison, because Apache's httpd doesn't HAVE
to be deployed in a standards-compliant way, although tools (i.e. browsers) and
operators have figured out how to make this work, and to a large degree, people
are able to successfully load webpages served by the Apache httpd.

In a similar way, OpenStack Nova installations may vary greatly in their
behavior. They don't HAVE to be deployed in a standards-complaint way (whatever
that means); Yet, hopefully, people will be able to successfully launch
instances served by OpenStack Nova with a common set of tools.

I'm often advocating compatible clouds over advanced client API wrappers (such
as Dasein), but the reality is that it needs to happen on both ends. The cloud
server software needs to enable a compatible and standards-compliant service
endpoint, enforced or not… and the client API libraries need to be flexible
enough to handle a variety of services that might not be 100% identical.  Just
like the HTTP servers and client libraries that we have today.

Regards,
Eric Windisch