On Nov 26, 2012, at 7:30 PM, Sina Sadeghi <s...@aptira.com> wrote:

> Hi again list,
>
> I am wondering why the dashboard UI around booting from volume is setup the
> way it is?
>
> Currently the user is presented with an "Instance source:" pulldown menu when
> they want to launch an instance. Only Image and Snapshot are present in this
> list. A user must go to the volume tab and specify "boot from volume" there.
> However, if the user does not also specify an image or snapshot, then the
> error
>
> "Please select an option for the instance source."
>
> is presented to the user.
>
> Shouldn't the "Instance source:" pulldown menu have a Volume list item so
> this error doesn't occur?

This would definitely make more sense. Unfortunately image id is still required
even when booting from volume. There is some work being done to fix this for
grizzly, so hopefully soon that will be an option. There is a bit of additional
work needed around the ux of booting from a volume. It would be nice if the ui
offered an option to select an image and have it copied to a volume
automatically for you at boot time, but there are still a few blockers before
that works cleanly.

Vish