On 25 June 2013 07:06, Daniel Ellison <dan...@syrinx.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm running grizzly on Ubuntu 12.04 server. I have two instances, both with
> the same security groups ("default" and one to allow XMPP traffic). The
> firewall rules are working for one instance but not for the other. Can anyone
> think of why the group rules would be applied differently?
>
> If more details are needed I'll gladly provide them. Both VMs are running
> Ubuntu 12.04. Both are provisioned with the same flavour. Both have private
> and public IPs. Running port scans on both provide different results,
> however. Ports that are open on one (e.g. 5000) are coming back as closed on
> the other.

So portscan will show open things that are a) permitted by the
security groups and b) have a listening service. if you don't have
something listening on one host, that would be enough to trigger the
difference.

That said, AIUI security groups, you get one per instance - what exact
command are you using to boot the instances?

You can also get a dump of the rules by running 'iptables-save' on the
compute host, which is probably the most direct way to see whether the
rules are active or not.

-Rob
--
Robert Collins <rbtcoll...@hp.com>