You can absolutely have instances in the same network span different compute
nodes. As an admin, you can run ‘nova show <instanceid>’ and see the host in
the output:

root@controller01:~# nova show 7bb18175-87da-4d1f-8dca-2ef07fee9d21 | grep host
| OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:host                 | compute02

That info is not available to non-admin users by default.

James

> On Jun 26, 2015, at 7:38 AM, YANG LI <yan...@clemson.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks, James for the explanation. it make more sense now. <http://now.it/>
> it is possible that a instances on same tenant network reside on different
> compute nodes right? how do I tell which compute node a instance is on?
>
> Thanks,
> Yang
>
>> On Jun 24, 2015, at 10:27 AM, James Denton <james.den...@rackspace.com
>> <mailto:james.den...@rackspace.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>>> all three nodes will have eth0 on management/api network. since I am using
>>> ml2 plugin with vlan for tenant network, I think all compute node should
>>> have eth1 as the second nic on provider network. Is this correct?  I
>>> understand provider network is for instance to get external access  to
>>> internet, but how is instance live on compute1  communicate with instance
>>> live on compute2? are they also go through provider network?
>>
>> In short, yes. If you’re connecting instances to vlan “provider” networks,
>> traffic between instances on different compute nodes will traverse the
>> “provider bridge”, get tagged out eth1, and hit the physical switching
>> fabric. Your external gateway device could also sit in that vlan, and the
>> default route on the instance would direct external traffic to that device.
>>
>> In reality, every network has ‘provider’ attributes that describe the
>> network type, segmentation id, and bridge interface (for vlan/flat only). So
>> tenant networks that leverage vlans would have provider attributes set by
>> Neutron automatically based on the configuration set in the ML2 config file.
>> If you use Neutron routers that connect to both ‘tenant’ vlan-based networks
>> and external ‘provider’ networks, all of that traffic could traverse the
>> same provider bridge on the controller/network node, but would be tagged
>> accordingly based on the network (ie. vlan 100 for external network, vlan
>> 200 for tenant network).
>>
>> Hope that’s not too confusing!
>>
>> James
>>
>>> On Jun 24, 2015, at 8:54 AM, YANG LI <yan...@clemson.edu
>>> <mailto:yan...@clemson.edu>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am working on install openstack from scratch, but get confused with
>>> network part. I want to have one controller node, two compute nodes.
>>>
>>> the controller node will only handle following services:
>>> glance-api
>>> glance-registry
>>> keystone
>>> nova-api
>>> nova-cert
>>> nova-conductor
>>> nova-consoleauth
>>> nova-novncproxy
>>> nova-scheduler
>>> qpid
>>> mysql
>>> neutron-server
>>>
>>> compute nodes will have following services:
>>> neutron-dhcp-agent
>>> neutron-l3-agent
>>> neutron-metadata-agent
>>> neutron-openvswitch-agent