Good point. There should be at least 1 partition per disk and if I
have fewer partitions I'm limited to how many disks I can use and
won't be able to increase my cluster.

I'm currently hard-pressed for performance and the capacity (upper
limit rather) is known. In my case, I'm inclined to take the
performance benefit even if that means I can't grow my cluster.

Thanks for the reply Remo.