Due to the weird public/private hybrid nature of my cloud, I'm frequently needing to abuse policy.conf files in unexpected ways. Today's challenge is the designate policy. Right now we're running a custom solution that maintains all public dns entries under a single domain: wmflabs.org. Here are the current access rules:

Members of any project can:

1) Create any subdomains of wmflabs.org
2) Create records under those subdomains
3) Create records under wmflabs.org

Project members cannot:

4) Alter/delete wmflabs.org
5) Create any domains that are not subdomains of wmflabs.org
6) Alter records or domains managed by other tenants

I see that I can get most of the way there by allowing users the create/get/update/delete record policies, and restricting the create/get/update/delete domain policies. That gets me 3, 4, 5 and 6. I've no idea how/if I can set up a 'special' domain to support 1 and 2. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Since this is a one-off, I've no objection to hacking the db directly if that's what it takes to provide the kind of half-universal ownership I need for wmflabs.org.)

Thank you!

-Andrew