Excerpts from Tim Bell's message of 2016-03-23 11:53:38 -0700:

> On 23/03/16 18:41, "Clint Byrum" <cl...@fewbar.com> wrote:
>
> >Excerpts from Tim Bell's message of 2016-03-23 09:17:20 -0700:
> >>
> >> The difficulty with the environment variables is that the administrator of
> >> the box you are logged into can read the environment using ps auxwwww.
> >>
> >> There has been some work done to support storing all the variables in a
> >> file (which would be an environment variable) such that the CLIs read from
> >> the file rather than needing it in the environment. This at least
> >> minimises the access to the home directory file servers rather than the
> >> root admin on the box you are using.
> >>

> >This does no such thing. The admin can read every single byte of RAM
> >in your process space, trace your library calls, and impersonate you to
> >get the same filesystem access. You have to trust the admins of systems
> >you are making client calls from. There is _no_ way around that. This is
> >one reason to want REST API's, so you can have an end-to-end encrypted
> >conversation with the REST API from the device you are certain is secure,
> >over a network and through systems you are not certain is secure.
>
> Giving someone access to a kerberos key valid for 24 hours based on tbeir
> ability to read every byte of my internal process space is very different
> from someone trivially running ps auxwww to get the list of people and tbeir
> passwords which are generally valid for months.
>
> While there is no guaranteed way round it, we should not make it so easy and
> for so long.

Environment variables aren't visible in 'ps auxwww', though they are in
/proc/$pid/environ, which is only visible to the owning user and root,
so that's not quite as terrible as the picture painted.

The thing I was respoding to wasn't Kerberos. Oh please great deity of
system administration, bring all OpenStack users actual Kerberos, which
would in fact be a huge improvement.

I was responding to "There has been some work done to support storing
all the variables in a file". Wherever those variables are read into,
which is, process space, is exactly equivalent to environment variables.