On Jun 28, 2016, at 11:19 PM, Kevin Benton wrote:

> It sounds like the agents may be plugging their ports into the wrong OVS
> bridge. It sounds like you have br-physical configured as your integration
> bridge, but you also have eth0 directly plugged into that bridge as well.
> That's not going to work quite correctly because the OVS agent expects to
> have to wire between the integration bridge and the bridge with the physical
> ports.

That gave me the indication that maybe I've mixed the two
bridges up. Which I vaguely thought about that a few days
ago, but this way was the only way that gave ANY result, so
I was afraid to meddle with it :). Also, I've read _A LOT_ of
howtos and examples, and I think not :).

On the Controller:

bladeA01b:~# rgrep  integration  /etc/neutron/ | egrep -v '\.orig|~:|# '
/etc/neutron/plugins/ml2/openvswitch_agent.ini:integration_bridge = br-provider
/etc/neutron/dhcp_agent.ini:ovs_integration_bridge = br-provider
/etc/neutron/lbaas_agent.ini:ovs_integration_bridge = br-provider
/etc/neutron/l3_agent.ini:ovs_integration_bridge = br-provider

On the Compute:

bladeA03b:~# rgrep  integration  /etc/neutron/ | egrep -v '\.orig|~:|# '
/etc/neutron/plugins/ml2/openvswitch_agent.ini:integration_bridge = br-provider
/etc/neutron/l3_agent.ini:ovs_integration_bridge = br-provider
/etc/neutron/lbaas_agent.ini:ovs_integration_bridge = br-provider

Is there a difference between "integration_bridge" and
"ovs_integration_bridge"? They should match, shouldn't
they??

If I understand it correctly, the term "integration bridge" is the
one that "performs VLAN tagging and un-tagging for traffic coming from and
to your instances".

So if this is the case, then I think I've configured it correctly (?).

bladeA01b:~# rgrep br-physical /etc/neutron/ | egrep -v '\.orig|~:|:# '
/etc/neutron/plugins/ml2/openvswitch_agent.ini:bridge_mappings =
external:br-physical
/etc/neutron/l3_agent.ini:external_network_bridge = br-physical

bladeA03b:~# rgrep br-physical /etc/neutron/ | egrep -v '\.orig|~:|:# '
/etc/neutron/l3_agent.ini:external_network_bridge = br-physical

> So I would leave the integration bridge to the default of 'br-int', then
> define a bridge_mapping in the OVS agent config that maps a 'physnet' to
> br-physical. Then when you create the network, it should be of the 'flat'
> type with a physical network that matches the physnet in the bridge_mapping.
> That's the part that tells the agent to wire ports on that network to that
> particular OVS bridge without VLAN tags.

If I understood the config file correctly, your reference to "physnet"
should be "physical" in my case (because that's what I call my
physical network in/with "neutron net-create"):

bladeA01b:~# openstack network show physical
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Field                     | Value                                |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| admin_state_up            | UP                                   |
| availability_zone_hints   | nova                                 |
| availability_zones        | nova                                 |
| created_at                | 2016-06-26T12:50:02                  |
| description               |                                      |
| id                        | eadb3df0-3c4b-46e5-afb7-fe5d2ef09328 |
| ipv4_address_scope        | None                                 |
| ipv6_address_scope        | None                                 |
| is_default                | False                                |
| mtu                       | 1500                                 |
| name                      | physical                             |
| port_security_enabled     | True                                 |
| project_id                | 2985b96e27f048cd92a18db0dd03aa23     |
| provider:network_type     | flat                                 |
| provider:physical_network | external                             |
| provider:segmentation_id  | None                                 |
| router_external           | External                             |
| shared                    | True                                 |
| status                    | ACTIVE                               |
| subnets                   | 172bdf64-9291-415a-8930-455f1f59453f |
| tags                      | []                                   |
| updated_at                | 2016-06-26T12:50:02                  |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+

and I'm mapping that to "br-physical" (which have eth0
specified as the port).

> This pic helps illustrate the two different OVS bridges that the agent will
> patch together and setup the rules for:
> http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/networking-guide/_images/scenario-classic-ovs-compute2.png

I'm going to have to study that in much more detail, and a lot
longer to understand it. Where did it come from (what page)
so I can get a little more substance?
--
Geologists recently discovered that "earthquakes" are
nothing more than Bruce Schneier and Chuck Norris