Hi Jim,

It's possible to change the amount of space required for base system, but
it will require to change partitioning schema in release model.

You can retrieve it from Nailgun using:
curl -H "X-Auth-Token: $(fuel token)"
http://172.29.194.19:8000/api/v1/releases/<RELEASE-ID>/ | python -m
json.tool > rel.json

Fix rel.json file and upload it back with PUT request.

The format of volume configuration is described in these documents:
https://github.com/openstack/fuel-docs/blob/master/plugindocs/fuel-plugin-sdk-guide/create-plugin/plugin-node-roles/volume-allocation.rst
https://docs.openstack.org/fuel-docs/latest/devdocs/develop/nailgun/customization/partitions.html

Let me know if you need any other help with that.

Thanks,