On 08/30/2018 08:54 AM, Eugen Block wrote:
Hi Jay,

You need to set your ram_allocation_ratio nova.CONF option to 1.0 if you're
running into OOM issues. This will prevent overcommit of memory on your
compute nodes.

I understand that, the overcommitment works quite well most of the time.

It just has been an issue twice when I booted an instance that had been shutdown
a while ago. In the meantime there were new instances created on that
hypervisor, and this old instance caused the OOM.

I would expect that with a ratio of 1.0 I would experience the same issue,
wouldn't I? As far as I understand the scheduler only checks at instance
creation, not when booting existing instances. Is that a correct assumption?

The system keeps track of how much memory is available and how much has been assigned to instances on each compute node. With a ratio of 1.0 it shouldn't let you consume more RAM than is available even if the instances have been shut down.

Chris