Hi all,

I'm trying to get RasPi to boot with U-Boot, streamlined with the other
ARM platforms (I guess).

So how is this designed to work? That's what I understand:

* U-Boot
  * loads boot.scr.img from <whatever the board boots from>
  * boot.scr loads kernel.img
    * really?, or the zImage directly?
    * from where? always from the same boot partition U-Boot came from?
      or possibly from the root fs? (extload should be able to do that?)
  * maybe boot.scr has the kernel cmdline embedded? Or does it load
    it from storage?

If this is not correct, please tell me the correct sequence (or point me
to the documentation ;)

Then, the more interesting questions are:
* who creates kernel.img U-Boot image (if this is used)?
* who creates boot.scr.img?

Actually I am trying to do the following for the RPI:

* u-boot on SDCard FAT partition
* boot.script on SDCard FAT partition, intelligent enough to fetch some
  sort of config from /boot on ext4 rootfs (for kernel command line
  options)
* boot.script to load kernel from /boot on ext4 rootfs

The idea is, that the FAT partitions does not need to be touched after a
kernel update etc, but that it will just fetch all that's needed from
the rootfs.

Not sure if this is a good idea and if it is going to work, but it would
surely make kernel updates etc. much more painless than they are now.

Best regards,

        seife
--
Stefan Seyfried
"If your lighter runs out of fluid or flint and stops making