Sent from my iPhone. Typos are Apple's fault.

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 3:01 AM, "Guillaume Gardet" <guillaume.gar...@free.fr>
> wrote:
>

> Le 22/10/2013 04:36, David Byte a écrit :
>> nevermind on the raspberrypi-gfx.  Found it via software.opensuse.org.
>
> Strange, you should have it in your pre-installed repositories on your image.
I monkeyed around a lot of stuff to get xfce installed. It may have gotten
whacked in the process. Definitely one that should be added to the base repo.

>> I am documenting my config here with some info to help others who may try to
>> follow.
>>
>> Here's where I sit (and pretty happily too)
>>
>> config.txt
>> disable_overscan=1
>> gpu_mem=80
>> arm_freq=900
>> sdram_freq=450
>> core_freq=450
>> over_voltage=3
>> force_turbo=1
>> hdmi_drive=2 (at least for the moment)
>> decode_MPG2=xxxxxxx
>> decode_WVC1=xxxxxxx
>
> Be careful with overclocking (especially over voltage). It may void your
> warranty.

Not overly concerned with warranty, but certainly appreciate the caution.

>> cmdline.txt
>> dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200
>> console=tty1 root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 rootflags= rootwait rw
>>
>> openSUSE:Factory installed and updated
>> Split install (moved / and all subs to USB stick)
>
> Are you able to boot directly from USB or do you have a dummy SD card which
> just allow to boot on your USB stick?

/boot is on sd still. I haven't found anything that makes me think I would be
successful booting from USB.

>> / is ext4
>> xfce4 desktop environment
>> installed raspberrypi-gfx from software.opensuse.org (factory)
>> installed zramswap from software.opensuse.org
>> zramswap installed and enabled for 64MB
>> added Multimedia and Essentials Repos
>> http://pmbs.links2linux.de:82/Essentials/openSUSE_Factory_ARM/
>> http://pmbs.links2linux.de:82/Multimedia/openSUSE_Factory_ARM/
>> installed omxplayer
>
> Is omxplayer working fine now?

Yes it is. Runs like a champ.

>> midori for web browsing (is there a better, lightweight browser)?
>>
>> With nothing running except xfce4 the system utilizes around 90MB of RAM
>>
>> Things to follow up on:
>> 1 - test iscsi-initiator further.  In limited testing, it was alway
>> reporting lun size of 0, could be config error.
>> 2 - search for more performance tweaks to OS, config.txt
>> 3 - add a wireless card?
> I have a USB wifi which is not too bad: WiPi.
>> 4 - move to a much faster USB stick for /
>> 5 - Add heatsinks (and maybe fan) and OC to 1Ghz?
>
> I would prefer a heatsink so that you do not get noise.

Was thinking of both. I have some  very small, low speed fans that would be
ideal for quietly moving a low volume of air through the case.

>> If anyone sees anything I should change, let me know.
>
> Thanks for sharing good or bad things with openSUSE on your RPi.

You guys have done a great job with the image so far. I am looking forward to
having a solid 13.1 image to put on the RPi devices I will give away at
SuperComputing 2013 in Nov.

Next to try is a 32bit power dev board  with an appropriate openSUSE build. :)