On Fre, 2015-09-04 at 18:00 +0200, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Am 04.09.2015 um 17:36 schrieb Freek de Kruijf:
> > Op vrijdag 4 september 2015 13:36:29 schreef Olav Reinert:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've got a Raspberry Pi running openSUSE Factory. The kernel is
> > >
> > >   kernel-raspberrypi-3.11.4-1.7.armv6hl
> > >
> > > Recently, a new kernel update was installed:
> > >
> > >   kernel-raspberrypi-3.11.4-10.1.armv6hl
> > >
> > > However, even though the new kernel seems to be installed
> > > correctly,
> > > the Pi still boots into the old kernel. How do I make it boot
> > > into the
> > > new kernel?
> >
> > The rpm should have support for building an initrd.
>
> Unless you've modified the boot script, U-Boot will boot the zImage
> symlink - make sure it points to the right kernel.
>
> The initrd does not affect uname output, but reinstalling the kernel
> should update the symlink. ln -sf will be quicker on rpi1 though. :)

Installing the new kernel did generate a new initr - or, at least,
dracut is run after installation. And it updates the /boot/initrd and
/boot/zImage symlinks correctly.

So I tried to uninstall the new kernel RPM. This caused the initrd and
zImage symlinks to become dangling. And yet rebooting worked fine,
still to the old kernel.

I'm suspecting the separate BOOT partition has something to do with it.
That's where boot.scr lives, and there's a zImage file there, too. Does
something in it need to be updated to activate the new kernel?

Regards,
Olav