Hi Duncan,

> I am trying to boot Tumbleweed on a Pine64 and RPi3, without success.
>
> Output:
> https://gist.github.com/dmacvicar/78eb884883c3b53e8b8098e71820d53d

Well, this means it is actually much better than a week ago when you
pinged alex (who pinged me). it looks like it gets beyond u-boot now.

> According to agraf the Pine did boot, but because of the quiet flag
> there is no more output. Still I did not get any prompt. How long should
> I expect kiwi to take to resize the 32Gb card?, should there be more output?

there is unfortunately absolutely no output. In my cases (16GB card)
it takes about 3 minutes before you get a prompt. This is however only
on first boot, subsequent boots are a lot faster. I would assume it
takes twice the time for 32gb.

I agree that it would be desireable to have the kiwi resizing progress
bar visible. Will look into how that works with python3-kiwi.

> The RPi3, what does that "sR~7Z9BiV9Bh+" garbage means?

this is your login prompt. the general problem with Rpi3 is that you
either get performance or you get a serial console. the bcm chipset
has only one stable uart, and that one got rewired in the pi3 to the
bluetooth chip rather than the serial console. which means that the
only way to get a serial console with rpi3 is by locking down the cpu
frequency to a fixed value.

This is what the "enable_uart=1" parameter in config.txt (which we
don't set) would do with newer firmware. alternatively you can lock
down the core freq (which is roughly the same thing), but you'll loose
a terrible lot of performance that way.

if you want to understand the details,
http://de.slideshare.net/yeokm1/raspberry-pi-3-uartbluetooth-issues is
a good start.