Hi Roger,

On 02.01.2017 08:51, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> The problem, I think, is that I want to have the local system files in
> place (x86), as well as the ARM files. I think this may work for the
> cross compiler itself. But everything else for ARM is installed in the
> same place as the host files. I just wondered if someone had figured
> out a way to get the two to coexist. I am guessing that building for
> ARM is best done on an ARM device and not cross-compiled on a
> different host.

If you want to cross-compile easily, use a distribution that's designed to do
so -- I can heartily recommend
openembedded / The Yocto Project.

While it is possible to do a ARM sysroot installation and then use a
cross-compiler with --sysroot= ..., it is painful
(on openSUSE) and the number of possible mistakes to make is huge (and many of
them are subtle, even more the problems
you'll run into because of this subtle mistakes), so I would not recommend this
to you, especially if you have to ask
here how to do it ;-)

QEMU emulated build is just damn slow, you are most likely better off just
building natively on an raspberry pi 3.

Best regards and good luck
--
Stefan Seyfried