Eric Curtin wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> On the rpi3 since it does not seem to have any CMOS battery type thing
> (correct me if I'm wrong), it boots with the epoch time on boot every
> time.

Same on my nanopi neo air.

> I have added an internal corporate ntp server to /etc/ntp.conf, which
> works fine, but it takes quite a while for the ntp daemon to sync the
> time. The time needs to be correct as some things I am using on the
> rpi3 depend on the time being correct (such as docker). Generally
> about four minutes in, the time successfully changes:
>
> Thu Jan  1 01:03:50 IST 1970
> Thu Mar 16 11:45:19 GMT 2017
>
> I am connected via ethernet, I see the daemon is configured in systemd
> to start after network.target, but it seems this is not enough (maybe
> it's too soon to start the ntp daemon?) to get the time synced
> quickly.

The ntp start up script includes a '-g' option to allow big jumps
(clearly needed).  How much delay do you see between the network coming
up and time being set?

> Also when this time jump occurs, XFCE decides to lock my screen, so I
> have to login again.
>
> Any ideas on solutions, before I come up with my own?

What is the real problem - that it takes too long before time is set?
That might suggest that ntpd is having trouble talking to the time
server.  Maybe DNS delays?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.2°C)