On 2017-04-28 16:29, Andreas Färber wrote:
Hi,

Am 27.04.2017 um 02:52 schrieb Tony Su:
Thx for looking at this, and your analysis.

AFAIK based on existing systemd functionality, I'm not sure that it's
quite ready to extend hardware device support, my impression is that
although on the Roadmap of what systemd wants to eventually do, today
udev still primarily is the subsystem that detects and implements
devices. I only know of systemd services mounting devices, but only
after udev has done its work.

I think you misunderstood: systemd is a way to execute userspace
commands on boot, as successor to, e.g., /etc/init.d/boot.local script.

It is rumored to be possible to apply .dtbo files to /sys/firmware from
userspace; Raspbian has some dtmerge tool (never tried it myself).

You could either package a yourhat.service unit (that depends on
suitable other uniquely named services if applicable), or we could have
one service that iterates over an, e.g., /boot/dtboverlay.d/ directory
with 10-yourhat.dtbo, achieving ordering via filename prefix.

Personally I see it as a more pressing issue to make sure there are
mainline drivers for the sensors etc. I run into, because that takes
more time, so I have not looked into writing/packaging such tools.
raspberrypi-userland is problematic, so we'd need a standalone package.
Any volunteers?

Once we know what exactly we need to make it work technically, we can
start thinking about a new YaST module as equivalent to rpi-config.

Note that as of this week Kernel:HEAD's dtb packages should be prepared
for overlays (i.e., node labels can be referenced by phandle now).

With that you can apply a few patches (or verify they are applied) and do

for i in /boot/dtboverlay.d/*.dtbo ; do cat $i > /sys/whatever/node/applies/overlays ; done

I had a branch with these somewhere so I can try dusting it off and see how many are still needed.

Thanks

Michal