On 08/17/2018 03:12 AM, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
On Thu 16 Aug 2018 23:22:17 NZST +1200, Alexander Graf wrote:

Powerup:
Green LED flashes briefly, colourwheel screen shows + disappears,
stuck, with screen showing
        Net:   No ethernet found.
        starting USB...
        USB0:   Core release: 2.80a
        scanning bus 0 for devices...
This sounds like the U-Boot USB stack is unhappy about something on
your USB bus. What devices do you have connected via USB to your
RPi3? Can you try to unplug all and see how far you get?
USB mouse and USB keyboard. You're right on the money, without those 2
connected (i.e., no USB devices, no Ethernet and only monitor
connected), booting proceeds and initial setup runs (all while the
screen is black, bad idea) until the console login prompt shows.

It looks like there are some USB keyboards, and then some others.
Booting shouldn't hang though.
It's a cheap small E-Blue Delgado that I use for initial setups and
emergencies.

Is there any way to get my hands on one of those in Germany? I doubt it'll be a lot of fun to do remote debugging sessions :).

Then I tried a Promate EasyKey-2, and Leap15.0 boots fine with that (and
a mouse) connected.

However, neither keyboard works during the boot menu (press any key to
stop - haha). There are key mapping faults of the E-Blue with raspbian
on the console, but not in X11. The Promate is good on the console (no
X11 to test).

Why does it work with raspbian though?

That one I can explain. In the openSUSE boot flow we make use of 2 different USB stacks: The U-Boot dwg2 USB stack and the upstream Linux dwg2 USB stack. Because the USB hardware in the RPi chip has so many errata, Raspbian ships with yet another USB stack they came up with themselves. And because the Raspberry Pi foundation are the upstream friendly people they are, they don't care the least bit to transfer any knowledge their gained there to the upstream drivers.

So in a nutshell, just because something with USB works in Raspbian doesn't mean it works with upstream Linux. OpenSUSE simply uses the upstream support, so we inherit all of its problems.

Either way, we should try to figure out what exactly is breaking the devices you have. For me, all keyboards I have work just fine in both stacks. I have heard reports from others about broken HID devices with the RPi though, so there seems to be a pattern. I just simply don't have any breaking devices here to debug.

Alex