On 12.11.18 22:32, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 4:02 PM Alexander Graf <ag...@suse.de> wrote:
>> On 12.11.18 20:54, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

>>> Thanks Guillaume .
>>>
>>> We don't really have a choice in the matter.
>>
>> Why do you not have a choice here? It really makes little sense to
>> develop against an out of support distribution, no?
>
> Thanks Alex.
>
> We don't control the platform; someone else controls it.
>
> We are expected to "just work" regardless of the environment.
>
> I don't disagree with you about the upgrade. But I would be pissing
> into the wind if we followed the abondonware development model. The
> mailing list and bug tracker would fill up with fodder for those not
> using the latest distros. It is easier on us to support the platform
> properly.

Hm, IIRC 42.1 predates any crc support from our side, so I wouldn't be
very surprised if things break.

If you say "you" are expected to just work, does that mean gcc? In that
case, I would expect that the header you're looking for gets detected by
configure and crc should be optionally disabled if it can't find it?

Again, I'm fairly confident that even binutils in 42.1 doesn't know how
to assemble crc instructions. That only came later.

Alex