Yes, it is, but 1-wire as well. 😉
Feel free to improve it with your findings, if appropriate.

> > If you want to use 1-wire on a regular gpio, with w1-gpio module, you
> > need to update your device-tree to setup it properly. Then, you can
> > check /sys/bus/w1/devices folder for any devices found on the 1-wire
> > bus.
> >
> > If you do not update your DTB, w1-gpio will not know which gpio to
> > use.
>
> I picked gpio11 because it happened to be convenient for the wiring, but I
> don't
> really care which one I use.  What is the easiest way of using 1-wire devices
> on
> the nanopi, without having to modify the DTB ?  I'm using the Friendlycore
> DTB,
> not the one from the openSUSE Jeos image.

I fear that you need to update your DT. Not sure what is the current status of
Device Tree Overlays, upstream.

If device tree overlays are supported, you may just need to create a dt
fragment, compile it and load it at runtime or on boot as a kernel option.

Matthias, Yousaf, do you know about the status of the DT overlays?

Guillaume