Hello,

I just downloaded the image for my Pi as well and I also recently watched Peter Chubb's from 2015 talk regarding his experience and with SD cards and Linux filesystems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3zb6p0thQU

There he notes that most MCUs and firmwares work with a 4M alignment size. Hence the general recommendation appears to be to keep the MBR table in that first 4M block and align the first partition start to address 4096. This seems to be what the official formatting tool of the SD Association does.

When I flashed the current Tumbleweed JeOS image to my SD card with dd I noticed that the partition starts at 2048. Other partition start addresses do not appear to fit into the physical 4M block size either. Swap starts at 133120 (divided by 4098 equals 32.5) and does not align, Root at 11571120 (divided by 4098 equals 2823.60...).

So hence to improve performance the alignment of the partitions on the image should be fixed. The question is how.

Best regards

Tamara