> You have in house security guys that can tell much more about.
> The home networks on this side of the big water are usually designed around
> routers or router+modem combos. Configuration is pretty straight forward
> and has not much common with SUSE so it probably will not find place in
> first articles in LfL, but eventually it has to be taken in consideration
> as some configurations have to be explained as they are not intuitive at
> all.

Yes, we probably do.  However, I was hoping the community would contribute a
bit. I will e-mail one of them and ask him to take a look if he has time.

Here in DK, I could get a router from my provider, but I don't in case I want
a special config at some point.  I also feel more confident with a Linux
product because I know fixes are released quickly if a new security hole is
discovered.  How do I know the producer of whatever router the ISP rents to
me is as quick with fixes?  Plus I want a server in my home network anyway
for sharing my printer, so this is much cheaper for me. ;-)  Of course other
configurations are possible and probably better suited for other situations
but this one seems to work for me.  The only "dangerous" thing I am doing at
this point that I know of is running my server on a system that also
functions as a desktop.  This means physical access is probably easier and
the system also gets used regularly for surfing the net, etc. (as a regular
user, of course), but I wanted to save energy and space by decreasing my
number of machines that run 24x7 or close to it.

Do most routers provide DHCP for DNS and IP addresses or is manual
configuration needed there?  My experience has been that unless you pay for a
really high speed line (I have one that is actual a business product because
I work home office regularly), you have to provide the router yourself.
Isn't a router more expensive than an extra eth card and openSUSE?

> System administration is broad enough for the book, so raising it to the
> part might not be enough, but as you said

Yes, it would be reasonable to have an entire book devoted to sys
administration, but we don't know at this point that the community is going
to contribute enough lessons to warrant splitting the book.  Internally, we
have most sysadmin tasks in Reference, but the point of LfL is to allow the
community (this includes in-house people) to focus on more unusual or
specific situations than we have the possibility to include in our internal
documents.

LfL can also include texts about using apps that aren't considered "standard"
or aren't covered in the internal docu or more in-depth descriptions of a
specific task with an app.  So it isn't all sysadmin related.

Unless I am wrong here, I think it is also possible to build only a portion of
the book, like just a chapter or maybe even a part.  Toms, is this true with
LfL?  Can a user build just an HTML or PDF of a part?

If the book as one entity starts getting too large and complicated, we can
always consider splitting it or consider other possibilities like making it
possible to tag texts after the intended user level so someone could make a
book with only the texts aimed at their level included.  My understanding is
that this is technically possible but not implemented.  The sources can get
complicated if we start making these divisions within a text.  But Toms can
also explain this better.

> Assigned, provided,
> furnished (is a bit unusual, but still correct).
> The stipulated is legal term.
> Did I mention that http://www.wordsmyth.net is my favorite vocabulary.

I occasionally use less common words in my first draft without thinking about
it.  I use the online Merriam Webster as my first point for quick checks, but
if I want stuff beyond that, I tend to refer to one of my reference books.
But maybe it would be a good idea to add a list of useful online references
somewhere in the LfL project wiki?

Rebecca